We got the appointment letter through and this one actually went into more depth about what to except and what I had to do to prepare for it. I was going for a hysterosalpingogram** The only down side was it had to be done either side of my period and with having irregular periods this was anybody's guess if I could make the appointment or not and also I was so upset to learn Lee wouldnt be around to go with me :( But my gran travelled up and stayed with me the night before so she could be there for me.
As the weeks lead up to my appointment day my periods were playing the usual game they do where they decided to be late and not show up and I was getting really nervous I would have to cancel my appointment as who knew if I would get another one quite quickly by pure luck about 5 days before my appintment they came and were gone just in time!!
The day came to go to the hospital and for anyone who knows me time keeping is not my forte so naturally I was running late and didnt count in that the whole world would be at the hospital that day and there was no parking spaces at all!! I drove round the entire hospital which felt like a million times and eventually found a space on the opposite side I needed to be and my poor gran can hardly walk was struggling to keep up. Eventually we got there with I think seconds to spare it was that close to the time I didnt even get a chance to sit in the waiting room and work myself up as soon as I signed in I got taken away, my gran waited in the waiting room.
The next part of this is going to seem like I'm making it up it was that strange but I can assure it is true!!
So I got taken through to what I can only describe as a changing room it was very small and narrow and there was chair and a shopping basket in this room (yes a shopping basket!!) The nurse told me to get changed and put my clothes into the basket so there I was in a hospital gown with my bum hanging out clutching a shopping basket looking like I'd escaped from the psychiatric ward and then I got called to go into the examination room.
This always puts the fear of god into me when you walk into a room and there is about 4 people all waiting for you. I got on the bed and the nurses explained what they were going to do and oh my god this was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life I'm not going to lie it was worse than any period cramps I've ever had I instantly burst into tears and was wishing Lee was with me. The nurse who was holding my hand was really nice and tried to calm me down. Thankfully the results came back ok and I was allowed to go and get changed. I remember walking by the other changing rooms and this poor girl was sat waiting to be called and she took one look at my mascara covered face and looked like she was about to run for the hills!!
For the rest of the day I felt really sore and uncomfortable and was glad to get my jammies on and relax. I hope I never have to get that test done again because it was just to much.
We now had to wait for our next appointment to come through to go back and discuss all of the tests to date and find out what our next step was.
* * A hysterosalpingogram, or HSG is an important test of female fertility potential. The HSG test is a radiology procedure usually done in the radiology department of a hospital or outpatient radiology facility.
- Radiographic contrast (dye) is injected into the uterine cavity through the vagina and cervix
- The uterine cavity fills with dye and if the fallopian tubes are open, dye fills the tubes and spills into the abdominal cavity
No comments:
Post a Comment