Pages

Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Fertility Clinic: First Appointment

The day came for our first ever appointment at the Royal Infirmary Fertility Clinic, as with the doctors appointment, I wasn't sure what to expect at this appointment as the letter never went into any details about what to expect so again I was pretty nervous and was thankful Lee got time off to come. I must say the army have been good with giving him time to come to the appointments which I was surprised about but I can't say anything bad about them this time.

As we drove to the hospital I was convinced they would say the dreaded words but Lee tried his best to reassure me they wouldn't. We parked the car and followed the directions to where the clinic was situated and I have to say they never thought it out very well when building the hospital I was shocked and a bit hurt to find the fertility clinic was right next to the maternity ward. I thought it was a bit insensitive.

So again we sat and waited building myself up fearing the unknown and then we got taken. It was a male doctor we seen and my first impression of him never changed during the whole time we went to see him I found him very abrupt and his attitude wasn't what I expected. He didn't seem that bothered about how I was feeling or how hard this whole thing was for me but then why would he care it wasn't happening to him, however I thought he could have approached the situation with a bit more sympathy and understanding.

More tests where done in this visit, more of me being mortified and uncomfortable but this was just the beginning of the tests. As for Lee being tested he had been twice to the hospital to do tests which where to be sent to this doctor and put in our file but they had been misplaced!

I was then passed to a nurse where she explained more to me. As she was in the middle of explaining things to us the doctor reappeared with news they had managed to find Lee's tests and it was then he mentioned IVF I didn't know what to say.

I was being sent away with 8 urine bottles and I had to take a sample once a week for 8 weeks and I had to freeze them until the last one and then I was to return them to the hospital. I thought that it seemed easy enough to do this but of course idiot me mucked it up lol. I was also told I'd get another letter to go back and get another test done in a few weeks time.

As soon as we got out of the hospital I burst into tears :( the doctor had said one word IVF and that was it I thought we have no chance now but even though my heart was broken and I had this mind frame I went home and the following week I started taking my urine samples however I mucked up the first week cos I couldn't remember if it was everyday or every week this is when Lee being a medic comes in handy and he was able to get me some spare bottles. We did laugh about having to put the filled bottles in the freezer it was then we came up with the idea to put them in another container to keep them secure.

8 weeks went in quite quickly so off back to the hospital with my frozen pee and again found it strange that nobody acknowledged I was there it was just a tub on the counter that they had to be out in and that was all off I went again to wait for my next appointment to come through.

No comments:

Post a Comment